In a bid to discover Nigeria’s best young spellers, develop healthy competitive skills as well as improve youth’s self esteem together with creating pride in academic achievement. TeamMasters Limited designed a Spelling Competition called TeamMasters Spelling Bee which cuts across primary, junior and senior secondary school students in Nigeria.
The TeamMasters Spelling Bee (formerly called Spelling Bee Nigeria) was first launched in October 24, 2008 and has since grown to be one of Africa’s Largest Schools’ Competition as participation has come from both Nigeria and neighbouring countries e.g. Ghana and Republic of Benin.
Feedbacks and comments from participants, parents and schools have shown that the spelling bee competition has had a direct impact on student’s vocabulary and academic performance.
The aim of the competition is to provide students with the opportunity to develop healthy competitive skills as well as improving their self-esteem, creating pride in academic achievement, and in the process, help to build a solid foundation for their future education and careers.
The main objectives of the competition are to;
- Improve students’ spelling, increase their vocabularies, learn concepts and develop adequate correct use of English
- Develop students’ self-esteem, confidence and interpersonal skills
- Promote Cultural and Intellectual Literacy by providing students with a platform to display their spelling skills
- Promote community-based partnerships by engaging members of various communities (parents, teachers, businesses, etc.) in the development of the educational process
- Build a network of young people who will act as peer mentors for other students; and play a key role in supporting their academic growth